Saturday, January 24, 2009

La Baraonda

I feel compelled to report a bad dining experience. (Well, maybe not bad, but a bit disappointing at least!)

Joe and I ate at La Baraonda last night, which is on 1960 right outside our neighborhood. We've been a couple of times before and really enjoyed it.

They had osso buco on the special menu last night, so I decided to go for it. I won't claim to be an osso buco expert, and I've never made it, but this one just wasn't quite right. Maybe I've been spoiled by really good osso buco in the past? I brought home my leftovers, and I'm not even sure I want to eat it, but at least now I have photographic evidence!

When I've had this before it was much more tender ... falling off the bone. This wasn't really tough, but it's veal ... come on! Also when I've had this before it was cooked in a sauce that had just a little tomato in it, and the sauce flavored the meat and the meat flavored the sauce ... wonderful! I don't know how they cooked this, but it looks like they poured Chef Boyardee over the top. I hope this poor baby cow did not suffer too much, because La Baraonda did him no justice.

And then the "risotto." We have made risotto together before, so you will all agree with me that this just isn't right! Don't call it risotto if you are serving rice, and not even very good rice!

But of course, I did not complain. I'm such a wus! I never want to cause a scene, and I didn't want Joe to be mad, so I just ate and smiled and brought home my leftovers to share with you ...

No comments:

Post a Comment