Sunday, February 8, 2009

I finally cooked something worthy!

I had a bag of potatoes that I needed to do something with. I searched on http://www.allrecipes.com/ for potato soup and found this: Super-Delicious Zuppa Toscana. As it is my favorite soup at Olive Garden (where I do not like going anymore because it always is so packed) I decided it would be a perfect recipe to use up my potatoes! Also, it looks like it should freeze well.



It is tasty and pretty easy to prepare... during each cooking step you can be prepping for the next step. I made a few substitutions:

1. I did not use any bacon. I cooked the onion and garlic in the sausage drippings, which were hardly any, so I think the sausage was very lean.
2. I used fat free chicken broth.
3. I used kale instead of spinach and probably more than 1/4 a bunch.
4. I used half and half rather than heavy cream.
5. I added a little salt and used only 1 tsp of red pepper flakes since some of the reviews talked about it having a kick. I think you could have used hot sausage and no flakes if you wanted.

I think my substitutions made it a healthy soup and delicious!

I also made some salads for lunches by cleaning out my vegetable drawer. I assembled 4 salads and each contain kale, lettuce, carrots, red bell pepper and cucumbers. I will add the dressing in the mornings. I am on a quest to eat more healthy and the best way I can think of doing that is by eating more fruits and vegetables.

OH! And.. the new Lifetime Fitness that is only THREE MILES from my house finally opened on Saturday. I LOVE it. Everything about it. Even the soap in the locker rooms. It is the foamy kind with a pleasant scent. I am so excited about having a gym that isn't a trek to get to. I will be there all the time. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you made some healthy adjustments. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete