Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Not your best effort"

This is what my dad said after trying a cake I baked last night "not your best effort". That was a nice way of putting it. It was an ambitious cake, Swiss Apple Almond Cake, with 5 layers: cake, raspberry preserves, apples, topping and a lemon glaze. I think the downfall was the topping. The topping was 1 cup ground almonds, sour cream, eggs, sugar and a bit of flour. It made a grainy cake like topping. Maybe where I went wrong was I did not grind the almonds fine enough. I used my new processor but were they supposed to be as fine as flour? It is edible and I think tasted better last night when warm. It would be impressive at a dinner party but not the kind of cake you make to nibble on all week long.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like it had nothing to do with lack of effort ... it was the recipe!

    ReplyDelete