Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ghost-Busting Cupcakes



I was in the mood to bake (and eat) yesterday, so I managed to find a recipe of the Food Network site using ingredients I already had on hand: orange chiffon cupcakes with meringue buttercream. Joe was meeting up with some of his ghost-hunting friends last night, so it was a good time to bake some treats and get most of them out of the house.

I have made many a batch of cake frosting, but this was my first time to make a meringue buttercream. I don't think I will bother with anything else ever again! It did involve making a sugar syrup and beating some egg whites, but it really wasn't much more time consuming than any other frosting recipe I've made. The recipe doesn't call for a certain temperature for the syrup, but I used the trusty candy thermometer and cooked it until just a bit past soft ball stage. The frosting was light, sweet without the sticky sweetness of so much powdered sugar like my regular recipes, and buttery without feeling greasy. Yummy!

Beaten egg whites are folded into the cake batter also, so these were very light. Makes it easier to eat two!

1 comment:

  1. The group reached two unanimous decisions about these cupcakes:

    1. They were soooo delicious!

    2. Tonya needs to make enough so that everyone gets at least 2 cupcakes!

    Jeaux

    ReplyDelete