Monday, May 25, 2009

Potato Salad Throwdown: The Aftermath

My sister dreads the day that her children will ask why Nana and Aunt Tonya don't speak to each other, and she will have to tell them about the Great Potato Salad War of 2009. Thankfully, we all reached the diplomatic decision that my mom and I both make delicious potato salad.



The competition: mine on the left, mom's on the right. I used the Barefoot Contessa recipe as planned, and my mom used her traditional recipe. I think she uses miracle whip, sweet relish, pimientos, eggs and onion.



We both made a small batch with no onions. Neither of us was willing to lose the picky-eater vote!



The chefs


The result: most family members wisely decided it was too close to call!

2 comments:

  1. What did you think? Would you make your version again? I am always looking for a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely make it again. I thought about adding bacon, but decided to use Teresa's method of sticking to the recipe as written for this first try. I'll go ahead and give the bacon a try next time I make this.

    I also like Ina Garten's method of cooking the potatoes. You drain the boiling water before they are quite done, stick the colander back in the empty pot, cover with a kitchen towel, and let them steam for 15 minutes to finish cooking. The potatoes were done, but still firm, so they didn't mash together when I mixed in the other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete