Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings



Ever since we made chicken and dumplings at Janet's, I've been meaning to try my grandmother's recipe. I "helped" her many times in the past, but never attempted them on my own. She makes hers with a dough she rolls out very thin and cuts into small pieces. She does hers with a knife, and it's very time-consuming! I'm guessing Memaw doesn't have a pizza cutter.

But first, the recipe. I tried to get a recipe from Memaw many years ago, but it goes something like this: "You fill your bowl about quarter-full with flour, add a little salt and soda, fork in some dollops of shortening, and add enough milk until it looks right."

Yeah, right. This Gourmet Gal needs measurements. I decided on this recipe I found on allrecipes.com. For my dumpling dough, I used milk instead of water because I'm pretty sure that's what Memaw does. Also, instead of boiling the chicken and then using that broth to cook the dumplings in, I cooked my chicken in the crockpot while I was at work and used some homemade chicken stock that I keep in the freezer.

I must admit I'm very proud of how it turned out. Joe thinks I'm preparing to issue a Chicken and Dumpling throwdown against Memaw, but I wouldn't dare! Now that I have the basics down, I'll offer to help her make dumplings soon and will pay closer attention to how she prepares the dough. I'll be sure to bring my pizza cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment