Sunday, July 19, 2009

Desserts...healthy and not so much

To use up some strawberries and blueberries, I made ANOTHER fruit cobbler. I also threw in some peaches. I modified the recipe as per reader reviews (3 tablespoons of butter and 3.5 cups of fruit) as well as used whole wheat flour and some oatmeal. I have yet to use whole wheat flour and not be happy with the results.


Because of my modifications I thought this was a great breakfast item and ate it happily, and without guilt.


Yesterday I made cake for a family dinner at my parents. Blond Texas Sheet Cake with caramel pecan frosting was in my "to be made" stack of recipes. I always pull recipes I want to make and now I have folders for all the categories (I know -- just as crazy as labeling your shoe boxes) and when I am ready, I go through the pile and pick what I'm craving.

This was really good and really easy. The icing was so good and next time I might make a yellow, boxed cake and use this frosting. The cake was good, but nothing special. But the icing was so good. It hardens as it cools. Yum...

No comments:

Post a Comment