Sunday, July 26, 2009

Fleur de Sel Caramels



This was a Barefoot Contessa recipe ... of course. I've had this episode saved on my dvr for several weeks and finally got around to making this this weekend.

This recipe is the perfect example of why I like online recipes so much ... the reviews! I was not really paying attention to measurements when I watched the episode since I would go to the website to get the recipe. When I scanned through the comments/reviews though, I noticed that many people pointed out that the recipe on the website was wrong. I re-watched the episode, and sure enough, the online version of the recipe only had about 1/3 of the sugar called for. Non-sweet caramels ... yuck.

So, here is the link to the online recipe, but the adjustments are: use 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 cup of cream.

Mine turned out just a little bit too hard. You cook them to 248 degrees, and once you start getting close, the temperature raises very quickly. I think mine probably got up to about 250 by the time I got it poured into the pan. They still turned out awesome though. Definitely the best caramels I've ever had.

An added bonus of making these was that Joe doesn't like caramels ... so more for me! He tried one of these though, and now he's a convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment