Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Husband, the Chef



My status as pastry chef for the household is in jeopardy!

Joe made a pumpkin crumb cake last week. It was so delicious we ate it before I got a chance to take a photo.

Today, he baked an apple cake. He must be quite pleased with himself, because he has decided to rename it Saddle Creek Apple Cake, after our street. This recipe comes from a book my Mom gave me, Cooking Texas Style. The master chef thought a glaze might enhance the dessert, so he tested that out on one half of the cake.

He e-mailed me a photo of the finished cake while I was still at work, so I was dying to get home to try it. It was so moist and delicious! I am incredibly impressed that my husband baked any cake, especially one that did not even involve a cake mix.


Saddle Creek Apple Cake

A moist, delicious cake chock full of goodies that makes a wonderful gift-giving cake, especially in the fall when thoughts turn to cool weather, apple harvest time and mulled cider.

2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1.5 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon rum
3 cups raw apples, diced
half cup raisins
half cup nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour a 10-inch tube (bundt) pan.
Beat the eggs well.
Add the sugar and beat again.
Add the vegetable oil and beat until smooth.
Sift together salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour.
Add to the egg mixture.
Blend in vanilla and rum.
Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
Bake for approximately 1.5 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words! Apple Cake is good but not a very interesting name. With the addition of a cinnamon vanilla glaze, it's transformed into Saddle Creek Apple Cake.

    ReplyDelete