Monday, December 14, 2009

Pancakes

While I do not think cooking through my new favorite cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, is akin to cooking through Julia Childs, I am going to do it anyway. Even if it does not make me rich and famous!

I love pancakes. I will eat them for any meal. Lately I have wanted to make them from scratch. And scratch does not include Bisquick! Or maybe it does.... anyway, I was looking through my refrigerator, trying to decide what to do with that half used container of sour cream, when egad! Pioneer Woman has a recipe called "Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes". They were so easy! And soft and golden brown. Plus, the recipe calls for cooking them in an iron skillet. I NOW HAVE AN IRON SKILLET! And sour cream! This recipe is begging me to make it.

The recipe says it makes twelve, 4-inch pancakes. I made 5. Yes. Ok.. so one was like 6 inches, some were 5 and I guess that explains it. I ate the remainder tonight, after heating them in the oven, and they were just as delicious as last night!

Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes
by The Pioneer Woman

1 cup sour cream
7 tbs flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

Place iron skillet or griddle over medium-low heat to get it hot.

In a medium bowl put in sour cream, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir together gently, and stop short of completely combining.

Whisk together the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl.

Pour the eggs into the sour cream/flour mixture and stir together gently. Do not worry about completely combining.

Melt a tablespoon of butter in the skillet and pour in some batter. Cook a couple minutes each side, until golden brown and done in the middle.

Serve with butter, syrup, or however you like to do it!

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment