My mom requested Beef Stroganoff for dinner for Mother's Day. I found a recipe at www.allrecipes.com and one of the comments that incorporated all the suggested changes is the recipe I went with.
My parents thought it was great though I am not sure how "authentic" it is. It was super easy since you just throw everything in to a slow cooker (except for the mushrooms).
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
2 pound cubed beef stew meat or chuck roast
2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1 sliced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup low sodium beef stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
16 oz. mushrooms, sliced (8 oz. if you do not want equal amounts to meat)
1/3 cup sour cream (reduced fat works well)
2 ounces cream cheese (reduced fat works well)
Pat of butter
1. In slow cooker, combine meat, mushroom soup, sliced onions, minced garlic, Worcestershire, water, stock.
2. Cook on high setting for 5-6 hours.
3. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. During cooking time, sauté the mushrooms in butter about 4 mins.
5. Put sautéed mushrooms in slow cooker last 30 minutes of cooking time
6. Check sauce if it needs salt or extra pepper.
7. Stir in sour cream and cream cheese when ready to serve.
8. Best served over buttered egg noodles.