Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Enchilada Casserole

Enchilada Casserole is another recipe from The Happy Cooker, Wanda. If you have not signed up for her newsletter, I suggest you do! This was super delicious and easy to put together. It should also re-heat well.

Enchilada Casserole (with my modifications)
  • 12 corn tortillas cut in half (Wanda calls for frying the tortillas in hot oil for 15 seconds. I did not find this necessary and cut the tortillas into quarters)
  • 2 - 10 oz cans Old El Paso enchilada sauce (I used 1 spicy and 1 mild)
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used ground turkey, 85% lean)
  • 1 package taco seasoning mix
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 - 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 chopped small onion
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups shredded jalapeno jack cheese or Monterrey jack cheese (I only used about 1 cup of cheddar for all cheese as I wanted to lighten this up)
  • chopped green onion and cilantro for garnish

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

(If you want, fry up and drain tortillas until soft, 15 seconds. I really do not think this is necessary.)

In a large skillet, brown ground beef/turkey until no longer pink. Drain excess fat and add 1/2 cup water and taco seasoning mix. I added the onions to the beef at this point, but Wanda calls to layer them. Cook until water is absorbed.

In 13 x 9 pan, layer:

1 can enchilada sauce, 1/2 of the tortillas, all of the ground beef/turkey, all of the black beans, onions (if not already in the meat), 3 cups cheese (I only used 1/2 cup), 1/2 tortillas, 1 can enchilada sauce and last two cups of cheese (1/2 cup for me).

Bake uncovered 40 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions and/or cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment