Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

I went on an almost 3,000 mile road trip from December 26, 2010 - December 31, 2010. During the trip I experienced tumbleweeds, hurricane strength winds, Texas State Troopers, snow, sleet and beautiful country sides in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. In a quest to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, food has to be fast. This usually means that food is not healthy, though it is very tasty. McDonald's sausage biscuits melt in your mouth and I am sure are served in heaven.

Therefore, to start off 2011, I wanted to detoxify from the fast food from the trip as well as holiday eating from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I recently read Self magazine and it has a great jump start diet for 2011 that includes easy to prepare, wholesome foods. I also read Experience Life Magazine and I found the perfect recipe to go with the Self diet. The recipe fulfills my recent craving for soups and beans, too.

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup was featured in an article about a young woman and her journey for a healthier lifestyle. (The recipe is at the bottom of the article). I added two shredded carrots and some salsa I wanted to finish. I used chicken broth and fresh thyme. The soup is very good with a nice, thick texture thanks to the pumpkin (though the pumpkin does not add any flavor). The soup is reminiscent of a tortilla soup and I think it would be very good with some shredded chicken, cilantro and maybe some corn.

Happy New Year!!



No comments:

Post a Comment