Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Putting leftover phyllo to good use



I have plenty of leftover phyllo from our gathering on Sunday, and Carol suggested I make a dessert with phyllo and bananas. She forwarded me a recipe from Molly, the Dining Diva, and I gave it a try tonight (despite a serious case of 7-month pregnancy cankles).


Here is Molly's original recipe, but I think you can get away with any number of substitutions (see mine below):


Banana Phyllo Rolls (Molly's recipe)
Serves 6

15 Sheets Chocolate Phyllo (You can use the regular flavor)

1/2 cup butter

3 ripe bananas

3/4 cup grated white chocolate

3/4 cup toasted and ground macadamia nuts (chopped)


Prepare medium rolls using 5 layers of phyllo. Cut layered phyllo in half lengthwise. Cut ends from bananas and split them lengthwise. Place 1 banana half on each strip of layered phyllo. sprinkle 1 tablespoon each of chocolate and nuts over banana. Roll phyllo dough around banana.Brush with butter and place seam side down on cookie sheet. Bake banana in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with caramel cream sauce.


Caramel cream sauce:

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 egg yolks

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup melted semisweet chocolate


In top of a double boiler, over hot water, mix sugar and egg yolks. Heat until hot to touch,stirring frequently. remove from heat. Using electric mixer, whip at high speed until stiff and thick.In a small bowl. lightly whip heavy cream and fold into sugar mixture. Drizzle over phyllo rolls. Serve.




I just stuck with the general method of wrapping the bananas in phyllo. I placed half a banana on the phyllo, added some brown sugar cooked in butter, and sprinkled with some cinnamon and chopped pecans. After baking, I drizzled with some of my chocolate raspberry jam (heated), and added a scoop of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, just for good measure. I still have some phyllo left, so I plan to try more substitutions.



1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! Now you are a phyllo expert!

    ReplyDelete