Sunday, July 31, 2011

French Toast



I am on both a breakfast recipe run and an America's Test Kitchen run. I made their recipe for french toast and realized there are two secrets in the recipe that you must do: toast the bread before dipping and use only egg yolks rather than whole eggs. All else I think can be modified for your taste.



I also appreciated America's Test Kitchens recommendation of using challah bread. HEB did not have the bread. They said they do make it but it sells out quickly. I was shown another of their breads, a country loaf, and it worked perfectly. Other options are Arnold Country Classics White, Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White or Thomas' English Muffin Toasting Bread. For my own test, I used Mrs. Bairds bread (as shown) and it was gooey. It was also difficult to work with as it threatened to tear during the entire process. Perhaps if I had toasted it, I would have had different results. But as I did not WANT to use that bread, I was lazy and just threw it in the mixture.





No comments:

Post a Comment