Friday, August 5, 2011

Treebeard's Butter Cake

I may have posted this recipe before but it is worth repeating! Treebeard's is a restaurant in Houston that I discovered when I worked downtown, straight out of college. The location I went to was in a beautiful church with gardens and on Fridays there was a band. The food is amazing, southern, comfort food. I usually ordered the fried chicken and mashed potatoes.


Fast forward ten years and two jobs later, and I eat Treebeard's once a month in a 24th floor conference room overlooking the Greenway Plaza area. It is the MUST HAVE menu at this board meeting. (One month a different restaurant catered and there was a near revolt.) Served is gumbo, shrimp etouffee, red beans and rice, a gorgeous salad, grilled chicken breasts with sweet bell peppers and greens. Normally, I opt for the chicken and greens so I can eat at least two pieces of Treebeard's Butter Cake. This cake is not really a cake but more like a blondie brownie. It has a crispy top and very moist center. It is an interesting bar that you cannot figure out how it is made until you see the recipe. There is a boxed cake mix bottom and a cream cheese and powdered sugar top that come together to create perfection. Anytime I bring these treats (I made them last night for a weekend trip) I get rave reviews and requests for the recipe. And the recipe is perfect as is. Do not change anything and no need for any of the toppings suggested in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment