Monday, September 26, 2011

Hot Apple Cobbler

I love apple cobbler and I love dump cakes.  Combine the two and you get this recipe for Hot Apple Cobbler thanks to Wanda of www.thehappycooker.com.  The only tricky part about dump cakes is making sure the dry cake mix gets enough moisture so it turns into a delicious topping.  I normally use a fork halfway through the cooking process to press all the cake mix down.  I especially had to do it for this recipe because the cake layer is thicker than normal because of the cooking vessel.

Hot Apple Cobber

1 (18.25 oz) box yellow cake mix
2 (21 oz) cans of apple pie filling
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, un-drained
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup natural sliced almonds

Heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly butter a 3-quart dutch oven.  (I used the dutch oven I use for everything and I think it is more than 3 quarts).

Spread pie filling and crushed pineapple over bottom of pan.  Evenly spread DRY cake mix over fruit.  Pour evaporated milk over top, covering all of the cake mix.  Drizzle melted butter evenly over this.  Sprinkle almonds over top and bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment