Saturday, January 21, 2012

Enchilada Casserole

I had some left over corn tortillas and I found this recipe for Enchilada Casserole in my "to-be-made" recipe pile.  This recipe is based on Wanda of The Happy Cooker and below is how I prepared it.  Note that if you are not careful this casserole can have a lot of heat.  Do not choose hot enchilada sauce and hot taco seasoning unless you want a lot of heat.  I used medium for everything and there was a lot of spice.  Next time I will use at least 1 mild.  Even still, I loved this casserole.  It is healthy with all the veggies (beans and tomatoes) yet still very satisfying.  I used less cheese than the original recipe called for (FIVE CUPS) so you can add per your taste.  I think this casserole will re-heat and freeze well.

Enchilada Casserole

12 corn tortillas, cut in half
1 pound ground beef
2 - 10 oz cans enchilada sauce
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 small can diced tomatoes
1 - 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, small dice, divided
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Cilantro and/or green onions for garnish

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground beef.  When browned, drain (if necessary - I found that 90% lean did not need to be drained) and add 1/2 cup water, taco seasoning, tomatoes and juice and 1/2 of the onion. Cook to reduce some of the liquid while you get the rest of the casserole ready.

Lightly spray cooking spray in 13 x 9 pan.  Pour 1 can enchilada sauce on bottom of pan.  Layer half of the tortillas, all the ground beef (I used a slotted spoon to leave behind the remaining liquid), all of the black beans, the remaining 1/2 of the diced onions and 1 cup of the cheese.  For the next layer put the remaining 1/2 of the tortillas, 1 can enchilada sauce and the remaining 1 cup of cheese.  Bake uncovered for 40 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned on top.  Garnish with cilantro or green onions, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment