Saturday, April 14, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo

I grew celery in my garden and since celery generally has a supporting role in dishes, I have been searching for soup recipes to cook.  Celery has a surprisingly short shelf life unless you keep it hydrated.  Good thing I can just cut it fresh when I need it!

I made slow cooker chicken gumbo because it sounded too good to be true.  A gumbo that does not require a roux?  One that can be made by throwing all the ingredients in at the same time and then left alone for 6 hours?  Sign me up!   

I realized that with tomato juice listed as an ingredient that this was not the gumbo I am used to.  But still, with all the vegetables and seasonings I knew it would be good.  And it was very tasty with the perfect amount of seasonings and heat for my taste!  I did add more salt at the end, after I tasted it.  Also, I used chicken thighs and put in half the sausage because it seemed like too much but I should have put the entire link in as it really cooks down.  Oh, and I did use a red bell pepper rather than green because I have heard that red peppers have more nutrients. 


No comments:

Post a Comment