Sunday, September 16, 2012

Morning Buns

I started watching a show on PBS called Cooks Country.  It is put together by the same people that do Cooks Illustrated.  The recipes are more down home and often, updates of recipes from the past.  Last week there was smothered pork chops and apple fritters.  This week the episode featured Morning Buns and Morning Glory Muffins. 

The buns are a croissant type dough with a cinnamon filling.  As the episode aired I realized I had all the necessary ingredients and decided to give it a try.  I am still working on my homemade pastry skills and Cooks Country made a complicated recipe - croissants - simple.  It is time consuming as I started at 10 am and the buns were not finished until about 7 pm due to all the rising.  However, putting it together is pretty simple.  

Word of caution:  there is so much butter in the dough that you should put the muffin tin on a cookie sheet to catch any melted butter.  


These were FANTASTIC.  I ate one (or two) while warm and I am hoping these are just as good at room temperature, as a croissant would be.  They are flaky and sugary.  No icing is needed.  These would be perfect to make the night before and then bake in the morning. 

1 comment:

  1. These look as delicious as you describe them! BTW, their Smothered Pork Chop and Apple Fritter recipes that you mentioned as some of my favorites.,.highly recommended!!!

    ReplyDelete