Sunday, December 29, 2013

Soup and cake

I enjoy preparing soups because they make such wonderful, filling, left overs.  I liked this chicken and black bean soup because all the seasonings were in the salsa and taco mix.  I did not add the sour cream or cheese because I did not want the extra fat.  I did add some zucchini and a can of diced tomatoes because the more vegetables the better!  This was super easy in my crock pot and the flavor was wonderful.

For dessert I wanted to use a bag of cranberries.  This cake, with the cranberry and apple compote, was healthy enough that I decided it would be a great breakfast.  I think that was a stretch but I had the super healthy soup to counterbalance the cake breakfast!

This cake was not only delicious but beautiful.  The red berries and apples were sweet and colorful.  I cooked them until the berries popped and they continued to caramelize while the cake baked.  I used almond milk instead of real milk and there were no issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment